Sandy was different though and we were expected to have winds gusting to 75 mph. Most of our animals are easy enough to secure, but I was concerned about the hives been tossed over. My preparation plan was to anchor the hive stand to the ground and then strap the hives to the stand.
I started with the ground anchors which came in sizes from 6 inches to 18 inches. I went with the 6 inch variety, simply because our ground can be a bit rock and I knew the larger ones could be a challenge. And I really figured 6 inches would be more than sufficient (and it was). This is what they look like:
It looks like the tie-down stakes you might put a dog (or goat) out with, but they have a tighter twist and they can rest pretty much flat with the ground, which means you could just leave them in place without the worry of mowing over them. They are a little harder to twist into the ground without the "handle" on the dog variety. However, you simply put a pole through the top loop and use that for leverage while twisting and pushing down. Here is one of them installed:
I then used good rope to tie the stand down to the anchors. I used a truckers-hitch to create a very taught line. I won't explain that knot here, but I use it all the time for highlining goats ... so it is one I happen to know very well and it allows you to create a lot of tension on a line. It worked extremely well here too.
Finally, I put two straps around each hive, securing them to the stand itself. The final setup looked like this:
The winds did indeed get very intense. Just next to the hives, a 10" diameter black locust came down, broken like a tooth pick. Actually, we had quite a few trees broken or uprooted, but the point is that the area where my hives were placed certainly saw some high winds. But the hive held firm and the bees were none the worse for wear once the skies finally cleared.